If you are concerned about your financial situation but are unsure about where to start … our free, independent and confidential financial counsellors can assist you.
This service will be useful if you are:
- Experiencing difficulty paying utility bills, phone bills or fines
- Experiencing difficulty paying credit cards or personal loans
- Receiving insistent correspondence from debt collectors and creditors
- Facing car repossession
- Facing eviction from your home
- Experiencing difficulty meeting home loan repayments or are facing house repossession
Financial counsellors have extensive knowledge in a range of areas of law and policy, including: consumer credit law; debt enforcement practices; the bankruptcy regime; industry hardship policies and government concession frameworks.
Financial counsellors can assist with:
- Negotiating with creditors to work out payment arrangements;
- Providing information on government support programs including benefits and entitlements;
- Addressing Centrelink issues;
- Providing information about bankruptcy;
- Providing information about options to address debts;
- Provide individually tailored financial education to strengthen money management skills;
- Provide referral to specialist services where necessary.
What you will need for your counselling session:
- Centrelink income statements or pay slips
- Letters of demand
- Copies of outstanding bills
- Court orders
- Original contracts
- Bank or credit card statements
Call us on the numbers below during office hours to book an appointment.